Tuesday 25 December 2012

Christmas vegan food swap

Well, it's that most wonderful time of the year: Christmas! It is fair to say, and I know I am not alone in this, that Christmas really is a special time. For me it's the perfect fusion of family, friends, love and food. However, I also believe it's a time for relaxing. Christmas ought not to be stressful. In fact, I think one should actively seek to find small moments of solitude. Try to enjoy and embrace the bustle in the kitchen and in the streets whilst doing last minute Christmas shopping rather than resenting it. I don't mind being busy so long as I am mindful.

If you are still not convinced, here's a lovely image I came across of Santa meditating. I saw it and instantly knew that this was the way forward this Christmas.


Anyhow, without further ado, here's what I purchased for my foodie friend.  

 Lentil chips, organic fig cake, Christmas collection herbal teas, organic crystallized ginger, dark chocolate and pretzels.

All this came from 8th day, aka my second home. 8th day is a rather lovely vegetarian shop and cafe on Oxofrd Road in Manchester. Here's a link for those living nearby http://eighth-day.co.uk/.

I so much wanted to make something special for this month's food swap, however we were right in the middle of moving house. Amongst this rather modest pile of goodies, the Cofresh chips are worth a special mention. I have not tried the lentil flavour but the hummus ones were very moreish and did not last long.

My favourite item here is the Christmas tea collection, mostly because I am a tea addict. I feel nothing warms the heart more than a luscious cup of tea. This collection of teas is perfect for the festive season with its warm holiday notes and exotic spices. It contains the following flavours:  Classic Rooibos, Sweet Chilli, Choco, Liquorice, Jamaica, Bright Mood, Heartwarming, Ginger Hibiscus, Ginger Lemon, Bedtime and Black Chai.

The only one that is missing from this collection is Masala chai - one of the few black teas I drink regularly. I do have a few bags of it in the cupboard but I always prefer to make my own. Here's the recipe I use.

Masala chai - makes one cup

1 cup water
4 fresh cardamom pods, smashed (the fresher the more fragrant)
2 thin slices fresh ginger
An inch of cinnamon stick
1 piece star anise
1 teaspoon loose black tea leaves
Sweetener and milk, to taste. I use agave nectar and omit the milk.

Put the water and the spices in a small saucepan, mix and bring to a boil. Turn down the heat and simmer for a few minutes whilst enjoy the aromas. Add the black tea leaves and simmer for another minute or so depending on how strong you like your black tea. Now take off the heat and simmer for another couple of minutes. Strain into your favourite mug through a sieve, add the sweetener and milk in you wish and enjoy :)

Just thinking about masala tea puts me in a special, relaxed mood. Before I fall into a comfortable daydream, here's what I received this month.

Sea salt, rosemary and garlic kettle chips, twiglets, brandy liqueurs, spekulatius biscuits, black pepper crackers, wasabi peas, salt and pepper nut mix, salt and vinegar crisps, bag of chocs, chestnut cream and a selection of teas.

I am an avid kettle chips consumer but I have never come across this particular flavour. They did not disappoint. Last night, whilst slightly blotto, I gobbled half of the bag. Ooops. The chocs were very nice, as were the Spekulatius biscuits which I mentioned in my last post. 

The twiglets were a bit of a blast from the past. I haven't had them for about 15 years. I used to eat them all the time as a teenager. It's the marmity flavour that I really enjoy. It agrees with my taste buds which are definitely more attuned to savoury flavours.

One last final thing to add before I get back to Christmas festivities. The rose garden tea was exceptionally good. I forgot how much I like rose tea. It reminds me of sitting in an English rose garden on a lovely warm summer's day. Mmmmhhhhhh. Bliss.

Merry Christmas xx


2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Laura.
    I love the meditating Santa! Also,all of the food looks lush! Now that festivities are over,we can all return to 'normal' life! Hope you have had lovely Christmas! Laura,you have mentioned your recent move-having seen some of your house pictures on FB, I was wondering if you could post more pics on here? I loved what I saw and would love to see more close ups?Also,will you be making more bunny rabbit trophy heads any time soon?I WANT ONE!!!
    :)

    ReplyDelete